Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Waging a War in Som Vihar

We have lizards.  Relatively small lizards, about 5-6 inches long, have decided to become our new roommates.  They use their own entry points, normally cracks in the wall or under the doors, and have taken residents on the walls and ceiling of our apartment.

A few nights ago, I was lying awake in bed, when I started hearing some funny "spraycan noises" coming from my roommate, Anna's, bedroom.  After a few minutes, a dark figure tiptoed into mine and Shantel's room seeking assistance.  "There is a lizard on my wall!"  She had been trying to get it away by spraying it with insect repellent.  Thus our battle began.  By the end of the hour, all three of us were standing on Anna's bed armed with our weapon of choice.  Shantel had a shoebox, I had a broom, and Anna had a flashlight.  None of these items were in any way going to be helpful in catching any of the multiple lizards running about the room.  Eventually we gave up, and Anna chose to spend the night in the living room.

The next morning the battle was reinstated.  I had a tailless lizard (whom I have nicknamed "Eeyore") trapped in a corner and had big plans for shoeing him outside through our bathroom balcony.  Our housemaid, Laxmi, was hovering over my efforts, insisting that I was going about this all the wrong way.  "No!  I leave eggshells.  Then they go."  The common method for keeping lizards away is to leave eggshells and peacock feathers around the house.  Eventually she tried to join my efforts by smacking the lizard.  This was not my desired course of action.  After finally managing to encourage Eeyore to leave, we started researching lizard repellents and sprays and emailed our supervisor asking for help.  What did she suggest?  Eggshells and peacock feathers.

Due to my bravery with a broom as my weapon, I have somehow earned the title of "Official Lizard Banisher."  I'm pretty sure that I can't put that on a resume, but I suppose it still has its perks.  Perhaps we will eventually get used to the presence of the little guys.  They are completely harmless, and want nothing to do with us.   Besides, Shantel and I spotted a little lizard during our tour of the President's house the other day.  Clearly, this is normal.

Despite this,  if you visit our apartment, do not by alarmed by the broken eggshells and peacock feathers, sitting in a few key locations in every room. 

2 comments:

  1. i am michael jhonsons friend,how about holy today did all fo you guys enjoyed colors....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for reading my blog:) Yes we had a wonderful Holi. We remained in our colony and played holi with the kids. We especially liked the scented colors. Its a very nice way to celebrate springtime!

      Delete