Sunday, March 17, 2013

Bhoomi Pooja


I've been thinking a lot about beliefs, how they bring people together, how they drive people apart, where they come from, and why we have them.  Whether its spiritual, political, social, or personal, everyone has them for their own reasons.  Its a big question that I'll never be able to fully address because I just don't have the space.  I guess its on my mind because of all the unique cultural experiences I've had since coming to India.  In experiencing traditions that are very foreign to me, it strikes me that I've never felt like a foreigner among them.  While I don't feel as though my "beliefs" have changed since coming here, I do feel more aware of my relationship with them.  Each new experience brings me closer to them and opens my heart a little more.

Today's event was "Bhoomi Pooja" the Hindu blessing for sanctifying new land.






Maitri has recently acquired a plot of new land in Vrindavan.  This area will be used to build a brand new ashram called "Maitri Ghar" which will have the capacity to house 100 widows.  Before building can commence, the land needed to be blessed, in proper Hindu Tradition.  The ceremony was beautiful in its simplicity, and full of life.  I'd say the most striking elements were the colors, the sounds, and the smells.  It certainly made me feel closer to the widows, for whom their worship is of utmost importance.  They put it even before their food, clothing, and shelter.
Widows raise their hands in celebration and song.
Pooja Flame 

Planting the Maitri Ghar Tree
















Following the Pooja, we distributed the midday meal to the widows, along with brand new sarees, which they receive twice per year.  They thanked us with all their hearts and then started swapping sarees.  It was adorable to see these tiny and dignified women, fighting over the best saree styles.  I hate to generalize, but no matter where you go, people love getting new things, and they love to look good.


Serving lunch to the widows 




The widows continue to inspire me.  When I'm with them, I'm reminded of why I'm here: to bring the world closer together by celebrating both our similarities and our differences.  Today I experienced a religious ceremony that I'd never seen before, and I felt more at home than in any similar experience in the states.  Today, it didn't matter what or where my personal "beliefs" come from, it only matters where they take me.  Today, I gave clothing to women who inspire me to have courage, hope, and joy, even when facing the darkest times.  I don't know if I'll be changing the world anytime soon, but its good to know that the world is doing what it can to change me.

There's my thought for the day.

Peace, love, namaste










No comments:

Post a Comment